In 1946, Phillips Electric Company Inc., an electrical contracting and engineering company was purchased by Morris and Louis Wagner. In 1950, the brothers moved the company from the original Chinatown location to its current address on St. Clair Avenue.
pictured above, Morris Wagner
After being in business for almost 30 years, Morris and Louis Wagner saw an opportunity to dramatically expand their business and Phillips Electric purchased Redmond Waltz, an electric motor repair company, in 1972. As a division of Phillips Electric Company Inc, Redmond Waltz continued providing electric apparatus services and sales under the Redmond Waltz banner while Phillips Electric provided the contracting and engineering component.
In 1980, Louis Wagner left the company and Morris Wagner became the sole owner. Dr. Lorry Wagner joined the company in 1981 and became owner in 1985. Under Dr. Wagner’s leadership in 2005, the contracting services were sold to Ullman Electric, and the company focused on solely Redmond Waltz’s apparatus repair services and sales, and the engineering services Phillips Electric Company provided for special projects such as rebuilding NASA’s wind tunnel electrical system.
During this transitional time, Susan Wagner joined the company. She became CEO and majority owner in 2006. Redmond Waltz continued providing critical repair services to customers large and small, often as rush and emergency work under Mrs. Wagner’s leadership until her untimely death in 2013. At that time, Jennifer Ake-Marriott joined Phillips Electric Company as President of Redmond Waltz Electric. The company continues to be owned by the Wagner family, as it has for almost 70 years.